Saturday, January 28, 2012

Puma Faas 250 Review

In my first blog I talked about a recently acquired shoe; the Puma Faas 250.  I found these shoes, which retail at $80, for just $25.50.  It was a deal too good to pass up.  I hadn't really done much research on the shoes but had seen all the Letsrun.com ads and I have always been fascinated by the Puma logo so I gave the shoes a shot.  Even if they didn't work out for running, I could wear them to chill.  Anyway, here's my review.



Specs
MSRP: $80
Weight: 6.7 oz

Feel: This shoe is amazingly lightweight and responsive.  Like I said, I didn't do too much research on the shoe. It was a good deal and I didn't want to pass it up.  I had expected it to be more like a typical trainer but it was not at all.  It reminded me of training in my Nike Zoom Streak XC 2s, something I enjoy very much.  It was not entirely like the Streak XC 2.  The Streak is pretty close to zero-drop and the Faas 250 is probably about 6mm up compared to the Streak.  I don't know proper measuring techniques but I would guess the drop is around 6mm.  Traditional trainers are 12mm.
The upper is a very lightweight mesh and it seems to be durable. I only have about 100 miles on mine but they look almost new still even after running on a few trails and a decent amount of gravel roads.  Initially I had an issue with the end of the tongue cutting the end of my toes.  I found a simple solution; don't tie the shoes as tight.  Right away, it felt weird having them a little looser but after getting used to that sensation I was very happy with the fit.
I like the way the mid-sole and sole are constructed.  They are very simple, just what I like.  The mid-sole has Puma's new BioRide technology and seems to be quite durable.  It doesn't have any motion control, or stability, a very neutral shoe.  The sole is also very simple.  It is pretty much a solid piece of rubber.  It is fairly grippy and is much better in the winter than my Frees.  Frees collect snow and rocks in the cracks on the bottom.  The Faas occasionally grabs small rocks but they don't affect performance and are easily removed after the run.
The heel cup is pretty typical, it is slightly smaller than usual, probably to keep the shoe light.  It is fairly firm but not too firm or too high.  It fits my heel nicely
The toe box is very wide and roomy.  I have long toes and wide feet, my shoe size is 10.5 but sometimes I need to buy 11s to fit my feet.  In these shoes I definitely can fit into a 10 and will next time around.

Durability: I don't expect these shoes to last as long as my frees.  They are very lightweight construction.  I have no doubt that they are well made but lightweight means that something was sacrificed somewhere along the way.  I wouldn't expect these shoes to wear out any sooner than an average trainer.  I don't have any immediate concerns when it comes to durability.

Uses: These shoes are very versatile.  I have run up to 16 miles in one go with them as well has having done hills, 400m intervals, and a tempo run in them.  They are definitely lightweight and make you want to run fast.  They are in the typical marathon flat weight range so I could see them being used for that.

Look: I think these shoes look great.  I am a fan of black shoes and have always admired Puma's looks.  I have always wondered how good their running shoes are and I think they are on the right track with the Faas series and I hope they continue.

Overall, I was very impressed with Puma's Faas 250.  They are definitely worth more than I paid for them.  I wish them the best of luck in the running industry!


Get the New Faas 800 Running Shoe at PUMA

No comments: