Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Marathon Fueling Experiments

I had a Scheels gift card recently and I didn't know what to get.  I already have about 19 pairs of shoes and too many pairs of tights, tops, and running shorts so I decided to do a bit of experimentation.  I will be competing in the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Marathon in June.  It is a smaller marathon so I assume the choice of food at the aid tables won't be perfect or predictable so I'm going to take that out of the equation.  I purchased a few different gels, and other energy supplements to try out in the upcoming months and hopefully find one that works wonders so I can run super fast in my marathon.  Here's what I got:

Sport Beans: Watermelon, Assorted, Fruit Punch, Lemon-Lime
GU Chomps: Watermelon
PowerBar Gel: Green Apple
GU: Mandarin Orange
Hammer Gels: Montana Huckleberry
Clif Shots: Strawberry
Sharkies: Strawberry
Clif Shot Bloks: Strawberry
Honey Stinger: Fruit Smoothie

I am going to begin experimenting with these energy supplements during long runs and workouts.  So far, I have tried a few and reports on those will be coming out soon.  I have found some that seem to work and others that seem to make me feel sick.  Like every other aspect of running, this factor is on an individual basis.  What works for me may not work for you so try many options to find the optimal one.

No comments: