Friday, March 16, 2012

Altitude Lessons for a Sea-Level Dude

I recently visited Southern Wyoming and Northern Colorado.  The minimum elevation there is still over 5000 feet and it reaches well above 10000 feet up into the mountains.  I have had limited experience running at altitude so I thought I would share what I learned in my recent experiences.

1. Hydrate!  This is a key when you are running anywhere but it is especially relevant at altitude.  You become dehydrated faster at higher altitudes and need to drink more water to stay hydrated.

2. Start out slow.  This refers to individual runs and blocks of training as a whole.  A run or week is much easier if you take it slow at the start

3.  Be wary of inclines.  If you don't like hills at sea-level don't try them at altitude.

4. Keep your head up and don't look at your watch.  You're going to be running slower at the same amount of effort but don't worry about it.  Just run and have fun.

5. Recovery will take longer.  If you have a workout or race, plan extra time to recover from it.  It will also be harder to complete doubles in track meet successfully at altitude.

That's about all I have regarding altitude.  Check back soon for my review of Fort Collins' Foothills Trail!  Thanks for reading!

No comments: